EM3ev were 1 of the originators of the Triangle battery for Ebikes. We’ve been building triangle packs for at least 5 years and during that time, we have learnt a thing or 2, about not only triangle battery packs, but battery pack construction in general. Our Triangle Packs are built using Samsung cells. Details of the performance to expect and our recommendations are detailed in the table further down this listing.
First up we have the the ICR18650-22 (NCM cell, 3C rated, approximately 2.1Ah) cell. There are also 2 types of High Power cells offered; the INR18650-25R and the INR18650-30Q. These are both NCA type cells, with 8C rating for the 25R cells (20A rated per cell) and 5C rating for the 30Q Cell (15A rated per cell). Capacities of approximately 2.45Ah (25R) and 2.95Ah (30Q). Regardless of the cell type used, the dimensions of the pack are unchanged.
Combined with our custom EM3ev triangle bags, even a small frame, possibly even a full suspension frame, can accomodate our compact triangle pack within the triangle of the frame. The battery weight (spec. dependent, approx. 4.2-4.5kg) when located within the frame triangle, is barely noticed. So, if you need compact size and high power, the 25R or 30Q are the best choices. If you also want to have the highest possible capacity, combined with high power, the 30Q pack is the best choice. Various chargers are offered as optional extras. Our EM3ev triangle bag is included at no additional cost.
Specification for Each Variant of the 14S6P Triangle Battery Pack:
|Cell Type||Capacity (Ah)||Capacity (Whrs)||Max Cont. Current||Max Burst Current||Weight|
|High Energy-33G||50.4V 18.6Ah||937Whrs||~28A||~37A||4.5kg|
|High Power-25R||50.4V 14.7Ah||741Whrs||~40A||~80A||4.2kg|
|High Power-30Q||50.4V 17.7Ah||892Whrs||~40A||~80A||4.5kg|
|High Power-MJ1||50.4V 20.4Ah||1028Whrs||~31A||~41A||4.5kg|
Our Small Triangle Pack (14S6P) uses a robust and reliable 14S 40A Li Ion type BMS. As with all our packs a pre-charge is fitted as standard (XT90-S). This is a must have feature with these High Discharge Battery Packs in our experience. A pre-charge will help to avoid issues with connectors and the electronic components in the battery and motor controller. The cells within the pack are bonded together using a special RTV. This RTV offers high insulation resistance, it is flexible, but also very strong. All signal cables are terminated via a PPTC (thermal fuse), to protect against a short. Even a dead short on the BMS Signal wires will not cause a hazardous situation
Please note that when a battery is ordered with a kit, we will make the controller to battery connections plug and play including Pre-Charge. If battery is purchased without a controller, we will supply a matching tail which should be linked to your existing controller supply.
- Tightly packed triangle layout, with lots of protection to avoid damage. Heavy Duty Rubberised Heat-Shrink provides a tough and durable finish.
- We use 14S (50.4V, based on 14*3.6V), not 13S (46.8V nominal, based on 13* 3.6V), so that means a working voltage of over 48V most of the time and it also means that you’re getting that much more capacity than you would have had with an equivalent 13S Pack (7.7% additional capacity versus a 13S equivalent).
- PPTC thermal fuses used on all signal wires. If a fault were to ever occur on any of the small balance wires which run around the battery pack, the PPTC fuse simply shuts down the connection and keeps everything safe. Once the fault condition is removed, function returns to normal.
- Nominal Voltage of 50.4V, assuming 3.6V nominal cell voltage. NCM/NCA cells are not 3.7V nominal as some seem to think and claim.
- Cycle Life estimated at 500-700 cycles (to 80% Retained) with 100% Charge and 100% discharge cycles. Cycle life is extended (possibly doubled) by charging to 90% and limiting discharge to 90%. We make it easy to control the Charge voltage with our switching charger. To accurately limit the discharge, the Cycle Analyst is a great tool. Using continuous High Discharge Rates, higher than the recommended levels, will cause cell heating and can shorten cycle life.
- Charge Voltage of 58.8V for 100% charge, 57.4V for 90% Charge (our 58.8V 5A NCM charger include a switch to charge to 100%, 90% and 50%). The Satiator charger allows charging to any SOC. Our small 58.8V 2A charger are very reliable and cost effective, but be aware that charging takes longer with just a 2A charge rate.
- Maximum Charge Current 12A max (BMS limited, 10A Recommended).BMS (Discharge) Protection Current >100A. This is a very robust BMS, that can deliver around 40A continuous, but much more for extended bursts.
- Dimensions: ~75mm thick. 275mm long, 170mm high (detailed dimensions shown in additional images).